Monday, February 4, 2013

I really had cancer.... wow

So its been almost a year and a half since I was diagnosed.... Some things have gotten better, some things are the same and I realize some things are never going to change.  I will always have the scars, and I will always have a fear that it might come back.  I will always cherish my life a little more than most and I will always feel a great sadness when someone looses their battle. 
We all give ourselves labels... sometimes they are labels others give us and we just accept them and sometimes they are the ones we give ourselves because of who we think we are.  You know the labels, Jock, Casanova, nerd, jerk, competitor, the list is endless.  Some labels are positive, some negative.  I know that for a huge part of my life, my chest was my label.  It was usually the first thing people noticed and it was always something they would talk about.  Breast Cancer kind of replaced that label, now I am a survivor.  It has taken me along time to feel like I am allowed or worthy to even use that label.  I actually owe my ability to see myself that way to one of my dearest friends who along the way has constantly reminded me that I did survive and that I did go through it.  
You see and hear the stories of what people go through when they have cancer.  The horrible sickness with chemo and radiation, the set backs, the hair loss, and sometimes the battle is lost.  I have a hard time even telling my story really because it seemed to happen so fast and because it was a double mastectomy I didn't have to go through the radiation and chemo so I feel like I cheated.  When I force myself to relive it, I know it was far from cheating, it was hell and it hurt and it almost broke me but I still cant shake the feeling that I got off easy compared to some.  Anyone out there feel that way?  Maybe it is just the fixer in me.... I want to help everyone and I have never felt that I deserved to turn that inward?  Deep thoughts lol I sometimes think I am just like that dog in the movie... totally attentive and then Squirrel!  My mind works that way, too many tracks running at one time and they are all fighting for their spot in the lime light lol
So a year from my last post I can say, I had cancer, I say it softly but I say it and I am a survivor and it means that I am strong and I have to think that if I can survive that I can pretty much do whatever I put my mind to right?  I hope so because I am only 40 and I am pretty sure I have a whole lot of living left to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment